Monday, March 10, 2014


A spider crawled from the pile of last week's dirty laundry this morning and I didn't even have the energy to kill it.
Meeting someone is like taking drugs
it sucks up all my strength at once, and then I'm lost laying in bed for hours by the phone.

I leave early, slam your car door,
scram off to places that don't
Make me choke on my words.
I'm sorry I have so many questions
It's just that  people like you split me open
and
I won't do that for anything.

On nights I don't know where you are
I play music to bare bulbs and blanketed walls
friends howling beside me like the street dogs we are.

You're no glass of cold water, darling.

But it's our third date and I still swallow hard when I meet your eye.
The faucet drips in Nick's bathroom. I listen from the toilet
close my eyes, bare ass cooling on the seat

spring's heat plays the bastard
I sweat caffeine, work with half my head singing a song of yours.
Bile builds fortresses inside my esophagus while I wait.

Someone knocks on the door,
"C'mon Ana let's go,"

We walk to the beach, visit the tide-pools,
You still haven't called so I turn my phone off.
The pools have been ransacked by children
A dead starfish curls, drying around a stone that has been forced through its middle,
the same way we all hold on to the things that kill us.

I turn my phone back on and I don't have any messages.

1 comment:

  1. This is a feeling my friend Carolee and I used to describe as "refresh, refresh, refresh," referring to when we were each in these situations and constantly checking email, texts, voicemail for messages from new paramours.

    ReplyDelete